Amended application by Chandigarh Petitioners
I had a meeting yesterday with Mr Jay Savla, Advocate, appearing for the Chandigarh Petitioners, (as desired by them) in his Office. Copied below is what I reported to them already.
1. Our Amended Application is ready and will be filed in the Delhi HC registry on 7th July, the reopening day.
2. Copies were already served (as required) on LIC & Union of India Counsel.
3. The latter has requested for a copy of our Paper Book (complete case bundle - WP & CA). Mr JS said it is being arranged.
I hope it is an indication that UOI would file its Counter independently and argue the case for the Government.
Hyderabad WP No 4894 of 2016
I met Mr Saurav Agrawal Advocate, appearing for Hyderabad and we reviewed the status of our matters in great detail. The following is a gist of the outcome:
1. LIC is yet to file its Counter Affidavit in our case.
2. It is learnt that LIC has changed the AOR in Delhi matters and retained Mr Ashok Panigrahi, the long time AOR in Supreme Court, for Delhi matters also.
(A practical decision as it makes the task of LIC Legal Dept team easy. They don't have to brief someone all over again).
3. No idea who is going to be engaged as Sr Counsel.
4. We learn that LIC'c Counter Affidavit in our case as well as it's Affidavit on 40% IR payment, are both drafted and sent to CO for approval.
5. Possibly these will be filed a day before the hearing date to ask for adjournment.
6. Not much is expected to happen on 12th July. There may be some plain talk from the Bench not only against LIC for not filing the Counter in time as directed and for taking its time to file the Affidavit on 40% payment, but also against the original Petitioners if they file their amended applications only when the arguments are supposed to start on 12th July.
7. It goes without saying that the Petitioners contributing to the delay neutralizes any damaging but similar performance by LIC. One has to watch what message emanates from the Bench if one goes by the tone of the stiff order dated 6th May.
8. Hyderabad Association is ready to face any situation squarely.
9. I am asked to be back in Delhi from 9th July to be ready to respond to any action/inaction by LIC. We will also take a call on LIC's bungling on 40% payment.
Sreenivasa Murty M
Camp: New Delhi.